Friday, September 24, 2010

Past 9/24/10

Throughout my life I have encountered many experiences that I have most definitely learned a lesson from. However, out of all these encounters the one that stands out the most is when I fell off my bike. It was the summer of my freshman year, only a few days after I had finished my final exams. It was a gorgeous, breezy summer day and my girlfriends and I decided to take a bike ride. As I was on my bike ride with Mary, Morgan, Joelle and Alyssa, being the picture freak I am, I decided to take a picture of Mary. I was trying to accomplish two tasks at once, which never ends up turning out in my favor. Attempting to take a picture with my right hand, while riding my bike down a massive hill is not the smartest idea that I have ever had. While doing so I soon realized I was going down the hill at a very high speed and I needed to stop. Without thinking before reacting, I pulled the brake that my only free hand was on, the front brake. Immediately after pulling the brake, my bike sent me soaring many feet through the air and crashing to the concrete road, all with in the blink of an eye. After several minutes my friends finally noticed I was no longer riding behind them and ran back up the hill for me as I dragged myself across the road to lie in the ditch. As I lie there screaming in pain, my friends did likewise because we were all so scared and didn’t know how to react. Luckily, my mom was close to where the accident had occurred and came rushing to help. Once she seen my bone nearly popping out of my skin, she immediately took me to the hospital. After many visits to the doctor’s office, the hospital, and having my surgery to repair the brake, everything is going well and my shoulder is back to normal for the most part. I felt extremely guilty about doing something so careless, due to the fact that my mom worked so hard to organize a family vacation to California and we were unable to go because my surgery was the day before we were supposed to leave. Through this whole experience I have learned to be more careful and think twice before my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment