Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My oopsy

There have been many incidents in my life where I was forced to deal with intense pain. However, the worst pain that I have ever experienced was when I broke my collar bone during the summer of ninth grade. It was a gorgeous summer day and my friends and I decided that we wanted to take a bike ride. Being the camera freak I am, I insisted on bringing my camera along with us in my bag. While I was enjoying the wind blowing through my hair, I captured a picture of my friend Mary and I riding our bikes, smiling and have a great time. Further down the road as we were approaching a steep hill, for some reason I felt that I could capture a candid image of Mary riding her bike down the hill. As soon as my finger clicked the button and the picture took, I realized that I was flying down the hill at a high rate of speed, and immediately pulled the left brake without even thinking. Of course, my bike sent me soaring through the air with my bike as well. I landed many feet down the road, harshly on my left shoulder. I am so thankful that there were no cars coming from either direction, because seeing how I landed in the middle of the road, my accident could have been a lot worse than it was. After I landed I immediately grabbed my bike and my camera and dragged myself to the side of the road and lay in the ditch. I was too scared to cry because I was just so scared that my mom would be mad at me. After I called my mom and she arrived, she knew that I had to go to the hospital immediately. After all, my bone was almost poking through my skin. At the hospital it was decided that I absolutely needed surgery. Two weeks after this occurrence, I went in for surgery and came out all fixed up! That entire summer I had no choice but to sleep in a recliner chair and was not able to participate in many sleepovers. I now and always will have a metal plate and five screws holding my shoulder together and also a four inch scar on the left side of my body. Although sometimes this bothers me, when it comes down to it, I am thankful they were able to fix it as well as they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment