Tuesday, December 7, 2010

SPUD!

There were many games and activities that I used to play when I was growing up. However, my favorite childhood game would have to be the game spud.  My dad’s side of the family is very large; therefore I had many cousins to play with growing up. At every family gathering, spud was the game to play. All seven of my cousins and I would start the game off by standing in a large circle and one person would stand in the middle of the circle with a ball. Each individual was given a number 1 through 8, because that was how many people there were playing the game. After everyone picked a number out of a hat, the person in the middle would throw the ball into the air and while doing so call out a number. If you’re your number was called you would have to run and try to catch the ball. All of the other players would run away as fast as they could. Once the ball was caught, the person in the middle would call out spud and that meant that everyone else would have to stop running. The person in the middle could then take 3 giant steps towards anyone they wanted and throw the ball at them. The person who was tagged then becomes the person in the middle throwing the ball up and calling out a number. If the person in the middle missed and didn’t hit anyone with the ball, they then remained in the middle. We would continue to play this game over and over again until we eventually became bored with it. Out of all the games that I have played throughout my childhood, spud would definitely have to be my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment