Tuesday, December 21, 2010

summer job !

Over this past summer I was a worker for the Alden Recreation Program. Last year was my first year and many are yet to come. I absolutely loved my job. I was hired to basically spend time with children all morning and entertain them. This was a fun way for parents to keep their children entertained during the summer and it was also a chance for their children to meet and make new friends. The parents would simply drop their kids off and sign them in and then the rest was up to us. From 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. we had a group of very young children ranging from ages 3 to 5. Then at 10:30 a.m. until 12:00 a.m. children from ages 6 to 8 would come. The entire hour and a half was also filled with excitement and never really got boring. Every morning first thing we would read a book to the children and then have one of the kids count how many of them were there. We would then play a game such as a tag game or sometime even play on the playground, until it was time to make a craft! Every day there was a new craft ready to be made and the kids were always looking forward to making them. After the craft was over we would then continue to play some more games and if they were lucky enough they would even get a popsicle at the end to the day. Each day was the game for both age groups. I absolutely loved my job, mostly because I adore children and spending time with them. I also loved how I was able to form many close relationships with the children and even their parents. I was even invited to one of the girls 5th birthday party with all of her friends in October which was a lot of fun. This was the perfect job for me and it fit my personality so well that I will be returning to this program every summer. Another perk about this job was that I never had to work on weekends and always had the remainder of my summer days free. Working for the Alden Rec Program helped me to truly realize that I would love to pursue a career that involves working with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment